What to consider when picking a new shampoo
There’s more to shampoo than a quick wash with whatever product is beside the shower. Did you know that using the wrong type of shampoo could actually be doing more harm than good? For example, moisturising shampoos are designed for dry hair so using one on normal hair could leave it feeling greasy. Rather than run the risk, read on to learn about which shampoos would best suit your hair type.
With so many types of shampoo on the market, it can be hard to know which to pick. Volumising shampoo, moisturising shampoo and hydrating shampoo all have their benefits, and there’s also plenty to be said for thickening shampoo and repair shampoo should you be suffering from thinning locks or split ends. Shampoo for dry hair is particularly popular in the heat of the summer, and many customers are opting for botanical shampoos which are the latest trend to hit the shelves. With so much to think about, we thought you could use a guide to picking the perfect shampoo. Consider these 5 vital points in your quest for smooth, glossy locks:
1. Scalp protection: Dandruff build-up tends to accumulate in the hair when the scalp is neglected. If you’re prone to a dry, flaky scalp, consider purchasing a nourishing shampoo that calms the scalp. Many of the Sephora products use soothing natural ingredients to promote scalp health and reduce the appearance of dandruff.
2. Botanical qualities: Have you considered botanical qualities in your quest for perfect locks? Many botanical shampoos ditch chemical ingredients in favour of natural, plant-based formulas. The benefit is that hair is refreshed and cleansed without having any of its natural oils stripped away by harsh synthetic elements. Why not opt for a product containing fragrant jasmine and sweet apricot? Your hair will feel nourished and better for it!
3. Volume factor: Is boosting your hair’s volume important when choosing a new product? If so, you might want to choose a volumising shampoo in a bid for a bountiful barnet. Pick an innovative formula from the Sephora shampoo collection which will lift strands of hair as it cleanses them, resulting in hair that has more bounce than ever before. The Sephora products are colour safe and free from parabens, meaning you won’t run the risk of your colour fading during use.
4. Portability: If you’re often on the move or planning a summer trip, you might want to bag a shampoo that’s as ready for adventure as you are. Whether you’re opting for a moisturising shampoo, a repair shampoo or a different type, you’ll find a range of sizes in the Sephora collection. Pick one in mini size and you can pop it in a weekend bag or holiday hold for perfect hair as you take on the world!
5. Colour protection: If you have dyed hair you’ll probably want to consider a colour-true nourishing shampoo for your collection. Colour-treated hair is extra sensitive when products are concerned, and many a beautiful barnet has faded due to the wrong type of shampoo use. Botanical shampoo can be great for this, as can any colour-protection shampoo - they’ll use fewer chemical ingredients for a more natural wash that won’t damage your current colour.
Shampoos by Hair Type & Concern
As customer demand for shampoo increases, more and more products are flooding the market. Rather than work through the labels and ingredients of them all individually, let’s start with what’s important: your hair type. Identifying the things you’d change about your hair is the first step to finding a shampoo that can resolve them. Whether you’re out to blitz broken ends or craft the effect of a fuller barnet, there's bound to be something in the Sephora collection for you. Let's run through the most common hair types and finish with tips and tricks on how to get the best from your shampoo.
Shampoo for normal hair: For most, regular shampoo will do the job of cleaning the hair follicle and stripping away built-up grease and bacteria. A popular option is the American Crew Daily Moisturising Shampoo from the Sephora Collection. Boasting all-natural ingredients, it balances moisturising the hair with cleansing and revitalising the scalp.
Shampoo for dry hair:While dry hair can feel extreme, it’s one of the easier conditions to repair. Pick up a moisturising shampoo specifically designed to replace missing moisture in the hair follicle. Such products will reduce the chance of split ends as they treat the hair from the scalp downwards.
Shampoo for thinning / fine hair : Thinning hair can be everyone's worst nightmare hence why thickening shampoos (also known as volumising shampoos) are growing in popularity and availability. Investing in a thickening shampoo is the best treatment for thinning hair. Many such products contain glycerine which helps the hair retain water and lifts the cuticle in order to swell hair glands. While age can be a cause of hair-thinning, so can poor hair health. Don’t let your hair care fail you: invest in a volumising shampoo to keep your barnet in the best possible condition. The Verb Volume Shampoo from the Sephora range uses pro-vitamin b5 and vegetable keratin to promote a healthy head free from thinning.
Shampoo for damaged hair : Damaged hair can occur at any point of the year but it’s most common in the winter. Central heating and cold weather are just two of the stressors that can weaken hair and cause it to bend and break. Styling and excessive product use can be just as damaging. The solution? A repair shampoo for damaged hair. While the formula of repair shampoo can vary from product to product, you’ll likely find them enriched with antioxidants and highly-moisturising extracts.
Shampoo for hair that needs a touch of TLC : If your hair’s not crying out for repair shampoo but could use a boost, consider a nourishing shampoo. These products utilise extra-hydrating ingredients to invigorate tired strands and boost dull barnets. Another option to consider is a botanical shampoo. These all-natural shampoos avoid chemicals in favour of botanical extracts like peppermint and olive oil.
Tips for getting the best out of your shampoo
Now you’re (hopefully!) in the know and a proud owner of a new shampoo, you might benefit from some usage tips. Most of the Sephora shampoos are gentle enough for daily when you take your regular shower. Whether you’re using a volumising shampoo, moisturising shampoo or botanical shampoo, the application process is the same. Simply apply the amount you require to the palm of your hand and work into a lather in your hair. When you’ve massaged the product through your hair and scalp, wash it away with warm water.